Say Anything . . . Deleted Scenes

Posted by Greg on August 30, 2011 at 8:42 am

We are going to end the month with a bang. Over the next few days, we’ll be adding a collection of extended and deleted scenes from the Say Anything… final shooting script dated January 18, 1988. Enjoy!

• On August 30, 2011 at 9:59 pm John Hardin said

Amazing. One of my favorite movies to this day.

• On August 30, 2011 at 9:59 pm John Hardin said

Amazing. One of my favorite movies to this day.

• On August 30, 2011 at 10:21 pm Sarahbeth73 said

My favorite movie of all time. It means a lot to me..

• On August 30, 2011 at 11:14 pm Scott Collins said

I cannot love this film enough.

• On August 31, 2011 at 3:43 am Joseph Brunetta said

Fantastic! I loved reading these scenes. The graduation scene was fascinating to read, in particular. It mostly has the form of the graduation in the film, and in its extended form is still wonderfully written. But the nuances that were added to the scene that plays out in the movie really elevate it–the satirical shot where you hear the collective sounds of the operating video cameras; the “Go back!” punchline that Jim loved when she wrote speech and is the only one loving it after she says it;  the utter excitement in Lloyd as he watches Diane, shaking his legs as if he couldn’t contain it. And if the scene to follow was Lloyd stealing a moment with Diane as she admires her new car, the graduation scene in the film totally adheres to that progression. In the graduation scene as written you get the idea that Lloyd just about has the courage to ask out Diane, given his singular outburst of applause in front of her and the school.

But my favorite deleted scene is Mr. Deegan’s. What a lovely contrast to Lloyd’s scene with Mrs. Evans. Whereas Mrs. Evans was taken by Lloyd’s sweetness and worried about his future, or worried over the thought that Lloyd hasn’t grasped what his future could be, Mr. Deegan on the other hand wished Diane already faced her future, and that they’d be meeting and falling in love at the other end and not at the beginning. Mr. Deegan’s crush is met with a mixture of guilt and weariness that given the timing the two of them are just not met to be. It’s so measured that it feels like an harbinger of where Diane and Lloyd could go wrong–and thematically echoes in the worries and concerns Jim speaks to Diane about with her relationship with Lloyd later on in the film.

Thanks so much for sharing!

• On August 31, 2011 at 6:29 am Joseph Brunetta said

Also, nice touch making Lloyd 19–about a year ahead in age than everyone in his class, yet in school terms he’s the student who’s “behind.”

Also, the principal mentioning the fellowship in his introduction to Diane suggests maybe in the script the scene where Jim tells Diane she got the fellowship might have happened before the graduation. Maybe this was mentioned in the commentary track and I’m just not remembering it.

• On August 31, 2011 at 5:30 pm Michele J said

By far my most favorte movie of all-time! It is not just a movie to me but a huge part of my life! Thank you.

• On August 31, 2011 at 9:03 pm Vinicius Carvallho said

I love this movie! Thank you, Lloyd is my idol!

• On August 31, 2011 at 11:26 pm Veronicaguzman27 said

In my world and in many’s Say Anything is the greatest movie ever conceived! Out of the genius mind of  Mr. Crowe! Thank you!

• On August 31, 2011 at 11:32 pm Greg Mariotti said

I’m glad that you and the Interwebs are enjoying these deleted scenes? what do you guys want next?
    Vanilla Sky? Fast Times? Elizabethtown?
    let me know your thoughts…

• I’d love to read the deleted scenes to “Vanilla Sky,” and considering that it’s nearing the 10th anniversary mark for that film it’d be a nice way to commemorate it. I was always struck by some of the shots in the trailer that didn’t make the finished film, particularly what looks to be David having a gun battle with his subconscious, which takes the form of a guns-ablazing S.W.A.T. team near the finale. I read rumors at the the time of its release that the finale was changed after test screenings, so to read what was originally shot would be awesome!

• On January 8, 2013 at 3:01 pm @LaFamiliaFilm said

@BillieJeanVK @TeelaJBrown Ask @CameronCrowe. ;) http://t.co/70mYmoT3 May be the best script he’s ever written http://t.co/5DB7s9qJ