We Bought A Zoo – International Release Schedule

Posted by Greg on January 2, 2012 at 9:34 am

Happy New Year Everyone! While We Bought A Zoo has already opened in a few places (United States, Canada, Trinidad, Singapore, Taiwan, Brazil, Mexico, Australia, Jamaica, Hong Kong, Argentina, Puerto Rico and Spain), many of you are asking when it opens in your country. Here’s the most complete list I have. Let us know if we missed your country and we’ll get the details.

• January 5th – Bolivia
  • January 8th – Philippines
  • January 19th – South Korea, Chile, Peru
  • January 20th – Turkey, South Africa, Central America, Columbia, Uruguay, East and West Africa
  • January 26th – Serbia/Montenegro
  • January 27th – Romania, Spain, Ecuador
  • February 16th – Dominican Republic
  • February 29th – Jordan
  • March 1st – Belarus, Germany, Greece, Kazakhstan, Russia, Hungary, Ukraine, Switzerland, Bahrain, Israel, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Syria, United Arab Emirates
  • March 2nd – Norway, Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Austria, Venezuela
  • March 7th – Egypt
  • March 8th – Croatia, Denmark
  • March 9th – Sweden, Finland
  • March 16th – Italy, UK, Poland
  • March 22nd – Portugal
  • March 23rd – Lithuania, India
  • March 30th – Iceland
  • April 12th – Czech/Slovakia
  • April 13th – Bulgaria,
  • April 18th – Belgium, France, Netherlands
  • April 19th – Holland
  • June 8th – Japan

• On January 2, 2012 at 9:37 am Ian Miller said

Thanks for this Greg, very helpful! March 16th is now firmly on my Calendar. :)

• On January 2, 2012 at 9:42 am Greg Mariotti said

My pleasure. Can’t wait for you to see it Ian!

• On January 2, 2012 at 9:59 am Prashanth Reddy said

India?

• On January 2, 2012 at 10:05 am Greg Mariotti said

Hi Prashanth. I will check with Fox. Thanks for the heads up. Stay tuned…

• On January 3, 2012 at 2:33 pm Greg Mariotti said

Ok. India is all set for March 23rd!

thanks

Greg Mariotti
      The Uncool – the official site for everything Cameron Crowe http://www.theuncool.com

• On January 2, 2012 at 10:30 am Richard Levy via Facebook said

March 16th for the UK – seriously? How annoying. I know it’s out of your control, but theres no reason for such a delay especially when no changes are needed to the release as its in English already! And studios wonder why people download movies :(

• Awww it’s beautiful in Spanish as well.. a place to dream.. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww…

• On January 3, 2012 at 5:32 pm John Callender said

In terms of marketing, I think the English-language version had to work kind of hard against its title. I mean, it just sounds kind of… dorky. Nothing against the real-life Benjamin Mee and his book title, but a movie title has its own cruel logic. Speaking from experience, I think anyone trying to give the movie the word-of-mouth it deserves has had to deal with the issue: “Yeah, I know its sort of a silly title, but trust me; it’s a better movie than you’re thinking.”

I think a case can be made that it was a courageous decision to name it “We Bought a Zoo”, and I’m not sure “A Place to Dream” would have worked better as an English title. But “Un Lugar para Soñar” does sound nice, at least in Spanish.

Per boxofficemojo.com, domestic box office as of yesterday was $44,490,999. I guess the continuing ad campaign is working. As Rosie would say, “Yay!” Here’s hoping the Scarlett Johansson obsessives in the rest of the world do their part during the international run.

• On January 12, 2012 at 4:14 pm cameron said

well said john… it’s an interesting parlor game to play now in retrospect, what would the movie be called if you could call it anything but “we bought a zoo.”  it’s also always tough to get used to it when you’ve made the movie under one name, and then change it later… we made “almost famous” as “untitled” and when the title had to be changed nobody who worked on the movie could handle it or even say it without it feeling like a betrayal.  now it feels fine.   though so happy the longer version will always be called “untitled.”

• ..

• OH Silly me..just checked.. it’s on in Brazil already…. :D  Yay Yay!

• On January 2, 2012 at 5:28 pm Patrick T'Kindt said

United states?

• On January 2, 2012 at 6:17 pm Greg Mariotti said

Huh? Are joking?

• On January 3, 2012 at 6:18 am Patrick TKindt said

No I dont see when it comes out on DVD

• On January 3, 2012 at 7:04 am Greg Mariotti said

Hi Patrick. This is the theatrical schedule. Not the DVD schedule. That hasn’t been decided yet. Thanks.

• Richard you’re right. And April 18th for France! :/ A height: I have to go to London on March 16, I may go see the movie ‘in advance’!

• On January 3, 2012 at 8:39 am Heidi Raymon said

Where is Russia?!

• On January 3, 2012 at 8:43 am Heidi Raymon said

When in Russia?

• On January 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm Justin Nordan via Facebook said

Saw it for the 2nd time last night.

• looking forward to march, and even more to hear what Cameron does next.

• On January 3, 2012 at 2:31 pm Greg Mariotti said

thanks Morten…fixed!

Greg Mariotti

• On January 3, 2012 at 2:32 pm Greg Mariotti said

and there’s a comma there as it’s two different countries…I did fix the spelling on croatia thought :)
      thanks

Greg Mariotti

• On January 4, 2012 at 12:50 am Euracastellani said

I am grateful that in this cynical world, there are still artists who
    are courageous enough not to run from earnestness, but to embrace it.
    Cameron Crowe has done just that with WE BOUGHT A ZOO. This is a
    beautiful movie, full of life – truthfully acted, beautifully shot and
    lovingly directed. I expected to cry (which I did, many times) but I
    didn’t know that it would also be so funny with levity coming just when
    you need it. Matt Damon was brilliant as the heartbroken but hopeful
    father. And my only gripe about Thomas Haden Church is that there
    wasn’t more of him! The kids were all brilliant — not an ounce of
    self-consciousness to their acting, which is rare when it comes to
    child actors. And the final scene alone is worth the price of
    admission. Anyone willing to open his or her heart will fall in love
    with this movie like I did. Kudos to all involved.

• On January 5, 2012 at 4:29 am Mark Cerasi via Facebook said

Any release info for Ireland?