Inquire Within: Scores for Almost Famous & Vanilla Sky

Posted by Greg on May 22, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Welcome to another edition of Inquire Within… Through your submissions, Cameron will answer your questions in his own words.

Adam Labat.: Are either of Nancy Wilson’s scores for Almost Famous and Vanilla Sky ever going to be available in their entirety like it is for Elizabethtown?  I really dig those cues and would love it if they were available for public consumption.

Cameron: We love getting this question.  Nancy’s scores really complemented those movies, and the process of sculpting the cues was a joyful process.  In the case of Vanilla Sky, thanks to Jeff Greenberg at The Village Recorder, Nancy was holed up for months turning out whole soundscapes… much ended up in the movie, and much did not.  We have a busy release slate for this year but both of those film scores are never far from our minds and we hope to have them out very soon.  In the meantime, you can listen to or download “Cabin in the Air” from Almost Famous as a taste of things to come.

Please send in your questions for Cameron and maybe yours will be part of a future installment of Inquire Within…

• On May 22, 2012 at 2:22 pm Lauren Kotmel via Facebook said

I am freaking out with happiness at work right now.

• On May 22, 2012 at 2:27 pm Cyndarious said

What scene of the movie does this piece belong to?

• On May 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm Croweyes1121 said

It happens twice. First when Penny first asks William about going to Morocco and again when he’s running and waving at her plane.

• On May 23, 2012 at 7:21 pm Joseph Brunetta said

In the “Untitled” cut it’s used a third time near the end, when Sapphire talks to Russell about how they’ll all remember Penny Lane and not much else about that time. I thought using the piece a third time in “Untitled” sort of fit in with the love triangle aspect of the film. It’s first played when William fell in love with Penny in the parking lot, when she invites him on her adventure and he accepts; then when Penny remembers what William told her when she overdosed, and might have in that moment on the plane fell in love with him; and finally it’s played a third time (in “Untitled”) when Russell falls in love with Penny all over again when listening to how Sapphire regards her.

• On May 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm Felipe Rodríguez via Facebook said

Bet you were in the Avengers!

• I loved all the music from Vanilla Sky! Beautiful movie from start to finish. :-)

• On May 22, 2012 at 2:34 pm Judey Dozeto via Facebook said

Nancy Wilson: genius!

• If the score album for Almost Famous is ever released, I will get it asap! Btw, from one uncool person to another, thank you so much for allowing Cabin in the Air to be released!

It reminds me of San Diego during my teenage years, and how I’d take the trolley downtown and wander all over the place. I still hope to one day find that street corner where Lester and William were.

• On May 22, 2012 at 3:17 pm legendary hoopsjonesman said

All The Right Friends– R.E.M.’S best-ever song that was “almost famous!”

Should have been a darned HIT!

• On May 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm Juan M Ponciano said

amazing. thanks so much for this. along with the songs, Nancy’s score was integral as the “theme” within the “themes”

• On May 22, 2012 at 3:56 pm Glenn J. Conte said

one of my all time favorite movies.

• Remember Grand Funk Railroad and Foghat?

• On May 22, 2012 at 4:15 pm Tangerine said

Thank you for making this song available. It is so moving. I love that sudden subtle look on Penny’s face when the plane is taxing out. That pang of sadness that comes over her because she is leaving is a very relatable feeling. Goodbyes are so bitter sweet and that scene was captured perfectly. Cheers to you, Mr. Crowe.

• FINALLY! Thank you Cameron!

• On May 22, 2012 at 10:19 pm Joseph Brunetta said

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

• On May 23, 2012 at 8:38 am Greg Mariotti said

more to come. We are just beginning to roll……

Best
      Greg Mariotti
      The Uncool – the official site for everything Cameron Crowe http://www.theuncool.com

• On May 23, 2012 at 2:13 am Tomislav Dedus said

Thank you so much for making this song available! I loved the airport scene and its music… pure magic

• On May 23, 2012 at 2:18 am Adam Labat said

Thank you!  Thank you so very, very much.  :)  I actually didn’t think about this much in the last couple of months since I sent this e-mail until yesterday when I found a YouTube video of the airport scene in which “Cabin In The Air” was used and listened to it a handful of times wistfully, hoping that this song would be available someday.

Here’s to the future release of the rest of Nancy’s brilliant scores for those two films.  Cheers!

• On May 23, 2012 at 6:38 am Greg Mariotti said

Hey Adam. Ask and you shall receive :)

Best
      Greg

• Cameron..i have probably watched Almost Famous 100’s of times. it is my not so guilty pleasure and the music, its about the music. i watch Into the Wild for the same reason..music that speaks to you..d

• On May 23, 2012 at 9:56 am Heather Restoule via Facebook said

I love this movie Cameron! It’s awesome. Thanks for making this for us!

• On May 23, 2012 at 10:15 am Bob Ripperdan said

So good one of my favorite pieces from one of my favorite films

• Like the film, very good stuff Cameron.

• On May 26, 2012 at 1:08 pm Jason Azze said

I have been searching for this for a long time. The scene on the top of the ramp is my favorite. Listen to the way the “family whistle” mixes with the score.

• On June 3, 2012 at 3:07 am Maddison said

Thank you so much, I have been looking for this for so long. This song gives me goosebumps and brings tears to my eyes

• On June 4, 2012 at 2:30 pm Julia said

It’s wonderful, i just cannot believe it,  i never thought this would ever happend! much love from julia and thank you sooo much

• On June 5, 2012 at 9:04 am Rob said

finally!!!!!! thanks so much : )

• On June 8, 2012 at 11:05 am Shaun Hamill said

This is, no fooling, my favorite cue from any film ever.  I’ve been waiting over a decade to have it!  You guys are the best.

• On June 29, 2012 at 3:42 am Turdknocker2 said

Wow! Thank you. Cameron, thanks for inspiring all of us who are decidedly “uncool!”

• On July 26, 2012 at 12:57 pm @TheSaleRack said

thank you for that. <3 RT @teekuh: OH MY GOD. I’ve been looking for this score for YEARS from Almost Famous http://t.co/xddlHwAJ

• On August 6, 2012 at 8:41 pm D_pavlina@yahoo.com said

What is the song that is playing after the plane almost crashes and the band is walking in the terminal of the airport? It sound like Neil Youngs, “Cortez the Killer”. If it is…I can’t seem to find that particular version. It’s haunted me now since the movie was released.

• On August 23, 2012 at 5:57 pm TimTurbett said

Sir Cameron, I think that you would catch many people by suprise if you released a full version of Nancy’s song on the Vanilla Sky dvd menu. It is truly a 48 second masterpiece. I Thank you for making the mix between dreams and reality so virtual. You have made a truly vital masterpiece to mankind by showing us a little piece of your mind and have inspired many others. You have inspired my mind. Watch for my name when i’m a PGA tour pro, dreams are my enlightenment.
    Tim Turbett

• On December 17, 2012 at 4:04 am Sean Wileman said

hello, i unearthed the full score from a for your consideration cd by nancy i had in my collection, wow what a score in its full glory.

• On December 17, 2012 at 4:01 am Sean Wileman said

hello, wow great site, i was going through my loft and found a old box of promo cds. in that box was one cd for your consideration vanilla sky score full cd by nancy wilson!!!! wow what a find. i now remember buying a auction. i do believe that this is one of the most moving unreleased jem of a score ever. a deluxe cd of nancys work would be awsome.

• On January 7, 2014 at 4:55 am freakzila said

This music is a story about a journey of life.