Fast Times Celebrates 30 Years

Posted by Greg on August 13, 2012 at 7:23 am

We asked Cameron to share a few words about the 30th anniversary of Fast Times at Ridgemont High. It was released in theaters on August 13, 1982.

On the last day of filming Fast Times at Ridgemont High there were high-fives and happy/sad goodbyes.  Amy Heckerling had powered through a tough schedule, and we’d snuck the movie through the studio system, in no small part thanks to our fiercely funny and protective producer Art Linson.   Sean Penn, who’d been in character the entire filming, arrived in a brown corduroy jacket and introduced himself.  “I’m Sean,” he announced.  We all felt instantly nostalgic for the blonde stoner we’d known and called Jeff for the previous three months.  I looked around, and saw one of the red trash cans that had followed us from location to location, from the Sherman Oaks mall to Van Nuys High.  It’s been in my writing room ever since.  Happy 30th Anniversary… and thanks to all the cast, crew and fine friends we still have from those bitchin’ summer days of not so long ago….

• On August 13, 2012 at 9:39 am @LucaChinaski said

Amazing movie!
    RT @CameronCrowe: A Few Words on Fast Times 30th Anniversary http://t.co/Shg7BYRq

• On August 13, 2012 at 10:20 am @davebower said

Also:Ack, 30 years! RT @CameronCrowe A Few Words on Fast Times 30th Anniversary http://t.co/vIzoyhxF

• On August 13, 2012 at 11:09 am @matthewfreier said

Fast Times > Breakfast Club. Does @SVPshow agree? RT @CameronCrowe: A Few Words on Fast Times 30th Anniversary http://t.co/KcdApjPg

• On August 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm Tom Moran said

Not many films can be watched and remembered with renewed enjoyment 30 years after they’re released.  Congratulations to a terrific cast and a great production team for a movie that stands the test of time.

• On August 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm robertcarroll said

Even at 30 years old, Fast Times still holds up as one of my favorite movies (and books) of all time. There’s certain movies and stories that just stick with you forever, and this is one of them. Happy Birthday, Fast Times!

• On August 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm Stephen Zeoli said

This is truly a movie I can watch over and over… and have. Can’t believe Jeff Spicoli is now in his mid-40s!

• On August 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm Indygirl0902 said

Fast Times is one of my favorite movies. I feel a lot older, realizing it’s been 30 years.

• On August 13, 2012 at 1:15 pm Dhsteeler said

Great soundtrack, great memories! So many of the movie’s quotes are cemented in my mind forever….”If you’re here AND I’m here, wouldn’t that make this OUR time”?

• On August 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm Phyllis Rogers said

I watch this movie several times a year. It is timeless! Love it!

• On August 13, 2012 at 1:39 pm @markharrill said

Such a great movie. Fast Times Celebrates 30 Years http://t.co/3Xfr5cT0

• When’s the book gonna get reissued?

• i know this movie certainly served my friend Marc Ratner well :)

• On August 13, 2012 at 1:56 pm Kenny said

I was the kid buying the BOC tickets and Fast Times definitely changed my life. Thank you Cameron for writing a script that still resonates today!
    Also I just got my yearly Fast Times check-$6.27!

• On August 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm Melissa Rosen via Facebook said

I can’t believe it’s been 30 years! Any special events in LA to commemorate the milestone??? p.s. Cameron, I used to always run into you at LAX or on the plane leaving Austin. Did you ever meet with RR?

• On August 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm Donna25042 said

Wow 30 years!  It’s been on cable lately and I still laugh as much as I did at 15!

• On August 13, 2012 at 2:33 pm Joseph Brunetta said

There are several great films about high school and being a teenager. “Dazed and Confused”, “Superbad”, “Clueless”. But the greatness of “Fast Times At Ridgemont High” to me is more unique because its tone and stucture are singular, with only Amy Heckerling’s own “Clueless” that comes close to capturing the structure. Where high school films are mostly “a day in the life” stories “Fast Times” wants to tell a story beyond feeling only lived in. You live in and you live through the film.

Because the film really observes and loves its characters it can successfully mix tones that in retrospect seem impossible to accomplish. Characters like Damone walk a fine line between being a complete jerk and callow, with toes being dipped on both sides as he makes Stacy’s journey all the more hard. We can indulge in Spicoli’s dreams of winning surfing contests because we know they are what informs his way of living life. We pitty Hamilton, who can even get out a little respite out of a simple daydream. That the last scene of the film is between Spicoli and Hamilton–the only two characters in which we see how they dream–may be no coincidence, each representing opposite sides of a coin: all responsibility and no play for Hamilton, and the other all play and no responsibility for Spicoli. They share a kinship neither could understand. But because of the deft, sprawling storytelling Spicoli and Hamilton, like the rest of the characters in the film, feel inseparable.

• On August 13, 2012 at 2:40 pm John Sepetys said

For me, it’s still the yardstick by which all other teen-scene comedies have to be measured.  The characters and dialogue are brilliant.  And it’s one of the most quotable movies of all time!  I hope you had a helluva piss Arnold…

• On August 13, 2012 at 2:53 pm Lou Robles via Facebook said

O.0 damn , 30 years? Ok, now I feel old. Still in my top 10

• On August 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm @flychief said

I cant even! RT @CameronCrowe: Uncool News -Fast Times turns 30 years old today. Come over & share your thoughts. http://t.co/0sxQ7bjp

• On August 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm Steve said

I found this in a used book store in Burbank a number of summers ago… cost me $5. I don’t think the owner knew what he had or I’m sure he would’ve tried to sell it for much more than that.

• On August 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm Shady Bob said

I had a great time working on Fast Times, it was a life changing experience frankly.  Seeing Sean tell another Extra  in character… “Dude, what are you doing? You’ll never work in this town again” will never leave my memory.  Sean is a consummate professional, even though we may not agree politically, he rocks the screen.  Amy knew at the time that I was too old to be passing as a highschooler and always put me in the back of the shot.  But I can still see my “young” self and have always enjoyed watching the movie with friends.

• On August 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm Bill Watkins said

Thanks for the Sex Ed class… Ten when it was released, probably 12 when I first saw it on VHS… Weird, though, Cameron: There is a new version of the film out on at least One DVD that I bought and watched…  Some nudity was taken out; not to sound like a perv, but WTF, you can’t change a movie years after the release, then package it as the original movie ethically can you??

• On August 13, 2012 at 5:22 pm @TooFast4Love said

Happy 30th! Excited to see it in the big screen at @AlamoKC! http://t.co/ks5A6m19

• On August 13, 2012 at 5:41 pm @CraftonWax said

I hope you had a hell of a piss, Arnold! -RT-“@CameronCrowe: A Few Words on Fast Times 30th Anniversary http://t.co/CfDcLQb1”

• 30 years and “You dick!” still slays me.

• On August 13, 2012 at 7:36 pm Kate Blake said

The movie totally captured my high school experience!

• On August 14, 2012 at 10:28 am @G_Elwood said

Direct from Cameron Crow: Fast Times Celebrates 30 Years http://t.co/xqYAHmSR

• On August 14, 2012 at 5:40 pm Abdul13 said

Why did they get the album wrong when they play Kashmir?

• On August 14, 2012 at 5:42 pm Greg Mariotti said

By design. To show that Ratner was a bit clueless.

• On August 14, 2012 at 8:56 pm @generacionvhs said

Y la última: @CameronCrowe hablando brevemente del cumpleaños de su MUST, Fast Times at Ridgemont High.. MDP2012? http://t.co/dRPT14hl

• On August 15, 2012 at 6:52 am @upinthisbrain said

Fast Times at Ridgemont High released 30 years ago this week : http://t.co/ktZJ3W1l

• On August 18, 2012 at 8:48 am @BSilberling said

The Official Site for Everything Cameron Crowe http://t.co/91zDiOWb

• On August 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm Beth Dietz via Facebook said

Wow, 30 years! I remember I couldn’t wait to hear Jackson’s song in this film….<3