To celebrate their 20th anniversary, Pearl Jam has officially announced newly restored and expanded versions of Vs. and Vitalogy. This should just be the beginning of the PJ news as we await Cameron Crowe’s Pearl Jam Twenty documentary later in the year. It’s also worth pointing out that Vinyl Films guru Andy Fischer worked extensively on the vinyl project (just like the Ten reissue a couple of years ago). Here’s all the details:
1. Definitive Legacy Editions (CD and Digital) – The definitive Legacy editions of Vs. and Vitalogy — including the original studio albums, newly remastered, along with album-era bonus tracks — will each be available on CD and digital formats:
The definitive Legacy edition of Vs. includes three bonus tracks recorded by Brendan O’Brien at The Site studio during the Vs. sessions:
- A previously unreleased acoustic version of “Hold On”
- “Cready Stomp” – a previously unreleased studio outtake
- The band’s cover of Victoria Williams’ “Crazy Mary” featuring Williams on backing vocals and guitar.
The definitive Legacy edition of Vitalogy includes three bonus tracks:
- The previously unreleased guitar/organ-only mix of “Betterman”;
- A previously unreleased alternate take of “Corduroy” from the Vitalogy session (recorded by Brendan O’Brien);
- A previously unreleased demo version of “Nothingman,” taken from the original DAT (recorded at John and Stu’s in Seattle on October 14, 1993, featuring Richard Stuverud on drums).
2. Deluxe Edition (3 CDs or Digital Download Bundle at Various Digital Service Providers) – Deluxe Edition CD version – Vs. and Vitalogy will be available together in a CD deluxe edition which includes:
- The Legacy edition of each album;
- A copy of Live at the Orpheum Theater, Boston, April 12, 1994. A special performance recorded at the tail end of the mythic Vs. tour, Live at the Orpheum Theater showcases a dream setlist created especially by the Pearl Jam crew and has for years been one of the most sought-after recordings among serious aficionados.
3. Limited Edition Collector’s Boxed Set (5 LPs, 3 CDs, 1 Cassette, Digital Download, Composition Notebook, Memorabilia-filled Envelope) – Vs. and Vitalogy will be available together in a limited edition collector’s boxed set that includes 59 unique Pearl Jam performances on four CDs, five LPs and one cassette in addition to a number of guest artist performances. The Limited Edition Boxed set is only available for sale at pearljam.com.
Definitive Legacy editions of Vs. and Vitalogy remastered with bonus tracks on CD;
- Remastered vinyl editions of Vs. (single LP) and Vitalogy (double LP);
- Double vinyl LP and CD of Live at the Orpheum Theater, Boston, April 12, 1994 plus an exclusive digital download of the concert. A special performance recorded at the tail end of the mythic Vs. tour, Live at the Orpheum Theater showcases a dream setlist created especially by the Pearl Jam crew and has for years been one of the most sought-after recordings among serious aficionados;
- Exclusive collector’s cassette featuring live tribute and studio performances from a number of Pearl Jam’s fellow artist friends. Broadcast on January 8, 1995, this recording is part of the legendary Monkeywrench/Self-Pollution Radio series produced by the band;
- 80-page composition book filled with photos, drawings and artwork by Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament;
- A glassine envelope containing a collection of Vs. and Vitalogy- era memorabilia including beautiful lithographs of each band member, postcards, posters and much more.
4. Record Store Day Vinyl Editions (LP) – Available April 12th – Vs. and Vitalogy will be available at independent record retailers in new commemorative, vinyl editions on April 12th in time for Record Store Day 2011 (April 16th).
- Vs. (single LP) and Vitalogy (double LP) – both remastered