Greg here. Since I live in Seattle and with today marking Singles 20th anniversary, I thought it would be fun to take a look at some of the filming locations and how they look now. I’ve included stills from the movie along with recent pictures that I’ve taken. It’s crazy how many locations are gone or completely changed, while others have stood the test of time. We hope you enjoy Part 1 of this trip down memory lane.
- The Coryell Court apartment building is located at 1820 E. Thomas Ave on the corner of 19th and E. Thomas Ave in the Capitol Hill neighborhood. Please remember that people live there, so you’ll want to respect their privacy if you stop by.
Tidbit: The fountain was created out of styrofoam for the film and the building is only two stories, so there’s not actually an elevator. In reality, Cliff’s apartment was in the laundry room and storage area (located in the basement of the apartment complex).
- The grocery store where Steve (Campbell Scott) buys the pregnancy tests from Doug (Jeremy Piven) was the Wallingford Food Giant, now the QFC at 1801 N. 46th St.
- The Java Stop where Janet (Bridget Fonda) and Cliff (Matt Dillon) work was located in the O.K. Hotel, under the Alaskan Way viaduct in Pioneer Square (212 Alaskan Way S.). The building was so damaged during the Nisqually earthquake in February 2001, that it was knocked down. Many Seattle rock bands including Nirvana, Soundgarden and Mudhoney played here.
- The bench where Linda (Kyra Sedgewick) and Ruth (Devon Raymond) chat is still located in a small park at the corner of 4th and Lenora. This is directly across the street from the Cinerama.
- Steve meets the Mayor (Tom Skerritt) at Chandlers Crabhouse (901 Fairview Ave N).
- Steve and Linda see a film at The Admiral Theater in West Seattle (2343 California Ave SW) right before their car accident at the intersection of California Avenue SW & SW Charleston Street.
- Steve’s work was located at the “Spam Can” building right down from Capitol Hill at 1730 Minor Avenue North.
We will return later this week with our Part 2 look at Singles locations.